This is my favourite song ever, reason being the first time I heard it and that was like two years ago (yes …. yes…. better late than never) I realised two things pain and confusion. I was pained at the lyrics and Freddy’s voice and confused by the music – I mean what was the music about rock, pop, opera…… and the unusual lyrics ….. Scaramouch, Fandango, Bismillah, Beelezbub, Figaro ……
So, I did what I do best, research about the song, about the band and about the enigma that was Freddy Mercury. Btw Freddy and me share the same birth date… how kool is that !!! That’s when the song made sense to me. Now years later none of the band members have confirmed what the song exactly means this song is open to different interpretations. Well, this is what I think the song is about.
This song is about a Moral Crisis and the five stages of grief. Freddy being gay. Something not so common in the 70’s. There are five sections to this song with each covering an emotional point.
- Denial : The song starts off just after an event that has rocked Freddy to the very core of his being (maybe he realises that he can’t change the who he is and he knows he is not being fair to the woman he loves) He is confused, alone and overwhelmed, wondering if what has happened has really happened. Anything else in the world is unimportant compared to his problem.
- Depression : The second part is not about killing someone; Freddy has destroyed his own future. He is not running away from a crime but from his friends and family who he feels would reject him. But in the end he has to face what has happened.
- Bargaining : Before the bargaining part there is a bit of random stuff that just bridges into the important stuff. Freddy is asking to be spared from this monstrosity, he wants to go back to how things were before. He is not on trial with anyone other than himself and his friends and family.
- Anger : How dare people judge him, how dare his friends and family turn on him this way. If they will not accept who he has become he will just leave them and make his own way.
- Acceptance: Now Freddy has accepted what has happened and is peace with who he is. The problems of the world are of no concern because he has learned to accept things that he cannot control.
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide No escape from reality Open your eyes Look up to the skies and see I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy Because I'm easy come, easy go A little high, little low Anyway the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to me Mama, just killed a man Put a gun against his head Pulled my trigger, now he's dead Mama, life had just begun But now I've gone and thrown it all away Mama, ooo Didn't mean to make you cry If I'm not back again this time tomorrow Carry on, carry on, as if nothing really matters Too late, my time has come Sends shivers down my spine Body's aching all the time Goodbye everybody - I've got to go Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth Mama, ooo - (anyway the wind blows) I don't want to die I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all I see a little silhouetto of a man Scaramouch, scaramouch will you do the fandango Thunderbolt and lightning - very very frightening me Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo, Gallileo Figaro - magnifico But I'm just a poor boy and nobody loves me He's just a poor boy from a poor family Spare him his life from this monstrosity Easy come easy go - will you let me go Bismillah! No - we will not let you go - let him go Bismillah! We will not let you go - let him go Bismillah! We will not let you go - let me go Will not let you go - let me go (never) Never let you go - let me go Never let me go - ooo No, no, no, no, no, no, no - Oh mama mia, mama mia, mama mia let me go Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me for me for me So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye So you think you can love me and leave me to die Oh baby - can't do this to me baby Just gotta get out - just gotta get right outta here Ooh yeah, ooh yeah Nothing really matters Anyone can see Nothing really matters - nothing really matters to me Anyway the wind blows...